Thursday, February 21, 2013

New Year New Goals

  In my last post I mentioned a new adventure I'm dragging my husband on. Well, as long I've had kids I've been torn between work & staying home. I would love to only work part time, but with 3 kids & daycare that could just never happen. The other day I got to thinking we should really work on a goal that would result in me being able to stay home with the kids. We would love the kids to be home schooled and get a little more personalized education. So after sitting down & doing the math we came up with a plan and we hope to be there in 12-18 months. Our first goal is to save 4 months worth of expenses (not counting my husbands 401k & retirement). That is the primary goal. Once we reach that goal we will then go 3 whole months saving my entire paycheck. This serves 2 purposes, one to see if we can survive without it, but also to put a little more money back. Another part of the plan is between now & then for me to work on making a small income from home to help cushion the blow a little bit (I have a plan on how to do this also, but it will take awhile to get there & I'll share that a little later). We currently own our cars outright & do not have notes on either one. We also don't have any credit card debt, which helps! We do have student loans but that is about it as far as debt goes besides our mortgage. My promise to YOU (hopefully to make me more accountable also), is to post our savings progress on the first of every month! I am not going to give exact dollar figures but you can see the percentage we have saved towards our goal on the upper right corner of the blog, there is a little savings meter! We had a little money set back already, so as you can see we are at 38.5%! Our plan is to just really cut back & try to think of all the good things we can do once I stay home! (the picture above is our son Tuck & our dog Bella).