Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Little Adult Time....

              For the last 10 months we haven't really been out without the kids. We really aren't allowed to leave the girls with anyone that isn't a licensed caregiver, so going out after work or after daycare hours was pretty much impossible. Now that we're an adoptive placement we are able to leave them with any of our "frequent visitors" that underwent a background check in the beginning of this process. I planned a little night out as a surprise for my wonderful husband. We went out with our closest couple friends & had a great time. We went to a place in Houston called Prohibition. They are a speakeasy type of club & have a great burlesque show on Friday & Saturday nights. The club itself has a great vibe & the show was really first class. It was really nice to spend a little time just the two of us again! We're very excited about the upcoming holidays. We consider Christmas a big deal in our house & there's always LOTS of fun going on. The other night as we all sat around the table eating dinner I asked the kids what they wanted Santa to bring them. Tuck said he wanted a game system, when I reminded him Santa brought him an X Box 360 last year & he never plays it, he said he wants new games for it. So I asked Sissy what she wanted Santa to bring her & she just looked at me a little crazy. So I asked what kind of presents she wanted, and she just repeated she wanted presents. I realized there's a very good chance she never had an opportunity to pick a gift or celebrate a birthday, that she can remember. When we were given photos of her from her previous foster home where she spent her 2nd birthday, there weren't any of her birthday or the girls opening presents at Christmas. So I asked what type of presents, then she got it & said "I want a kitchen, and food, and to bake cookies and a kitchen!". I instantly realized what she was talking about, about a month ago I was at a children's resale store & they had a gorgeous 3 piece solid wood toy kitchen set, it had the little sink, the stove & a mini fridge. It was made by Pottery Barn, and baby pink, in a 50's theme. Sissy sat & played with it & begged me to buy it, "Please mommy! I want to make cookies, please, please Mommy!". I can't believe we didn't leave with it right then but it was HUGE & we have no where to put it, not to mention it was $200! So this year for Christmas I have a feeling Santa will be bringing her a little kitchen. As far as the adoption goes, it looks like we will be finalizing this year! We have a court date of December 18th to finalize. This road has been so rocky, so tough, and so rewarding. Everyday I debate whether we can EVER do this again. Could we tempt fate and try for a fourth? Right now I don't think I could. But when I watch my babies play together, or just listen to the 3 of them giggle & laugh hysterically together in the next room, I can't imagine not being a Mommy another time. When I watch my husband play with our kids or them run to him when he gets home from work, I can't imagine him never being a Daddy again either. I guess time will tell. We've decided to leave our license open, but inactive, for one year. If no biological siblings come into custody we will close our home. I think we have a great balance right now, but as far as more kids in the future, never say never! Our hearts will always be open to what God has in store for us. We have trusted him with our whole hearts this whole journey and he hasn't steered us wrong.