Saturday, February 12, 2011

To get things started.....

          I should most likely start at the beginning of our journey. My husband and I met at work when I was 19 & he was 20, it was not love at first sight, or anything extraordinary, there weren't trumpets sounding & there were not birds chirping. But our first date changed our whole lives & the course of our destiny. I knew that night I had met the person I would marry & spend my life with. We were inseparable & complimented each other in every single way. I'm not going to say everyone was thrilled when 6 weeks later we decided we wanted to get married, but we had our families support. February 20th 2003, one year & 4 days after our first date we were married. As a child I never dreamed of getting married or a big white dress, I had one dream growing up & that was to be a Mom. Our dreams were shattered when after one miscarriage & 3 months into another pregnancy we were dealt a blow that would change our lives. I would ultimately lose that pregnancy as well and was stuck grappling with the realization our family would be much different than we had imagined. They say loss or tragedy can tear couples apart or bring them together. I believe this is very true. There were times I was very afraid I may lose my marriage but in the end we held on tight & when the smoke cleared he was still by my side. We never strongly considered attempting another pregnancy, or risking a babies health to fulfill our selfish want for a biological child. We decided early after that our family would be built by adoption. The next 6 years we built our relationship, set down roots & bought a house. Marriage is not easy and it was no fairy tale but once we got past the 5 year itch we knew we were ready to start our family.

No comments: